"May the odds be ever in your favor."- Effie Trinket

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Countdown, Day 10, 17 days left

Wow!! It's already the 9th!! How many people have heard the song, We wish you a merry Christmas when they say
Oh, bring us a figgy pudding;
Oh, bring us a figgy pudding;
Oh, bring us a figgy pudding and a cup of good cheer

Well, two years ago I wanted to make a fancy dessert for Christmas and I ended up making Figgy Pudding...
12 plump dried Calymyrna figs, snipped into small pieces
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup dark rum
1/3 cup cognac or brandy
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 (packed) cup brown sugar
2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (made from about 8 inches of baguette)
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup dried cherries
1 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup brandy, cognac or rum, to flame the pudding (optional)

Well, actually I don't know why it's called pudding, it's actually more of a bread!! It requires SO many strange ingredients that it is really quite expensive and since it has spirits in it probably is not something you would make with a child in mind...however last year I made homemade donuts and "reindeer poop" and I can say that I liked those two things SOOO much better!!!  Have you guys ever tried any of those desserts? What is your favorite holiday dessert?

3 comments:

  1. Addy,
    Your blog is so fun! I can tell you are making the most of the holiday season! You asked about our favorite holiday dessert and it got me thinking about mine. My great grandparents on both sides of my family were immigrants from Sweden. Did you know that? One recipe that has been passed down is one for Ostakaka. It's a Swedish dessert, kind of like a custard. There are many ways to make it, that create a not-so-great dessert, but my grandpa found a way to make it devine. It takes about a whole day to do it, but it's really great! My sister or my mom make it every year at the holidays and I'm so looking forward to it this year! Christmas wouldn't be the same without it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like such a good recipe! i wanna try it but it seems so complicated! But maybe I'll try it!
    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. So are you just going to tell us the recipe or just give us the ingredients?

    ReplyDelete